We are deep dog lovers here at SierraSil. Our dogs are more than pets – they are a part of our families. Yes, we talk about our dogs as much as we do our children.
Some days the news headlines can be a bit hard to listen to – but as you and I know – a cuddle from your dog or an after-work dog walk can do wonders for your spirit and outlook.
This is why we thought for July, we’d take a different approach with our blog and share some of our favourite feel-good dog news stories with you. We’d love to hear from you – share your favourite feel-good dog stories (and photos of your dog) on the Leaps & Bounds Facebook community page and tag us on Instagram with your photos of your dog.
Dogs Helping People
Dogs are doing good all-over the world to help people live happier, healthier, and safer lives.
- Airport Therapy Dogs. There is no denying that air travel can be stressful, but fortunately airport therapy dogs are here to make your travel day easier. Here are our top four stories about airport therapy dogs:
- Lifesaving Dogs. Your dog knows you. He knows when you’re happy, sad, feeling tired, or in danger. These three stories of lifesaving dogs are a great reminder of how awesome dogs really are:
Of course, there is no denying the overall benefits from having a dog. Number one is how your dog helps improve your health – every walk you take your dog on, supports your dog’s joint health and your own joint health. Beyond this key health benefit, it is widely recognized that dogs help lower your stress levels, connect you with other people, and help prevent depression.
So, give your dog an extra hug tonight and some all-natural dog chews as a thank you for all that she does for you. Your dog really is your best friend.
People Helping Dogs
Some days the news headlines can be very overwhelming. These stories of people putting dogs first are just what each of us needs to brighten the day and remind us of all the good there is in others.
- High School Running Team Invites Shelter Dogs On Their Morning Run, And They Have A Great Time Together
- The Magic of Muttville – How a Senior Dog Rescue is Changing the Lives of Senior Dogs
- Romanian Animal Rescue Is on A Mission to Help Country’s Enormous Stray Dog Population
- Senior Dog Adopted After Seven Years at Shelter is Transformed by Family Life
Share your favourite story about people helping dogs on our Leaps & Bounds Facebook community page. Let’s keep these good news stories about people and dogs going.
Enjoying Life with Dogs
The SierraSil vision is to see one million or more people live healthier and more active lives – and this includes you and your dog. There is nothing better than getting out with your dog to camp, hike, walk, and adventure.
Here are some of our favourite articles on how to enjoy an active life with your dog:
- How to Camp with Your Dog
- 4 Fun Ways to Work Out with Your Dog
- We Owe It To Dogs To Keep Them Health, Fit, and Trim
- How to Safely Hike, Camp, and Backpack With Your Dog
- Top Ten Water Sports for Dogs
Remember that your dog’s joint health depends on getting regular walks and playtime. Adjust your dog’s walking and activities based on his dog joint health – pay attention to any signs of limping or a reluctance to go outside for fresh air. Contact your veterinarian if your dog is not interested in walking, playing, or her normal active routine.
Summer Dog Movies and Books
In between all this dog-related activity, you and your favourite dog need some downtime and relaxation. Add these dog-themed books and movies to your entertainment list this summer.
- The Art of Racing in the Rain – read the book and then watch the movie this summer. Remember, to bring a box of tissue with you to the theater – this movie will tug hard at your heartstrings.
- The 31 Best Books for Dog Lovers: New Novels, Mysteries, Classics and More
- Why Are There So Many Books About Dogs?
- Marley & Me – this is a true classic feel-good dog story. Read the book, watch the movie, and then give your dog a giant hug.
Your Dog is Your Best Friend
We’re not exaggerating – your dog truly is your best friend. Your dog gives you unconditional love, friendship, and companionship. We thank you for taking such great care of your dog and doing all you can to help your dog live a long and healthy life.
Here’s to a summer packed with dog kisses, romps at the dog park, camping out under the stars with your top dog, and chilling out with a good dog movie or two. It’s a fact – dogs are good for people and people are good for dogs.
About the Author
Michael Bentley, President of SierraSil Health, has twice been recognized by Optimyz magazine as one of Canada’s top 100 health and wellness influencers and in 2019 was honored by the Canadian Health Food Association with the John Holtmann Industry Leadership Award. He is also a Trustee of the BC Sports Hall of Fame and past Board member of the Council for Responsible Nutrition, Family Services of BC and other non-profit organizations.
*Thanks to the SierraSil team and our extended team for sharing their best friends.